Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkey White Chili Soup Recipe Week 14 Day 98

So I decided to get a little crazy today and make my own Turkey White Chili Soup, from scratch (I've always thought that was weird term).  

Yes, I said soup.  I didn't stop at chili, I stopped at Soup.  You can make it more like "chili" by reducing the amount of liquid, or boiling for much, much longer.  Your choice. 

So here is how I did it, and honestly, it turned out good (if I do say so myself)!

Oh, and hubby liked it too, and he has VERY high standards.  


4 T butter
1 med onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, diced
2 celery stalks, diced

8 c Homemade Stock (I used 6 cups turkey stock and 2 cups duck stock)
3 c chopped Leftover Turkey meat (or any meat) - We used smoked turkey 
1 rounded Tablespoon Cumin
1/2 rounded teaspoon Paprika
1/2 rounded teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 1/2 rounded teaspoon Chili Powder
1 rounded teaspoon garlic powder
1 14oz can artichokes, chopped
1 can Green Chiles, not drained
S&P to taste

Option 1:  Top bowls with chopped cilantro and sourcream
Option 2:  Make it creamy by adding heavy whipping cream before serving

1.     Melt butter in pot.  Add onions and saute ~15 minutes, until they are soft and start to caramelize

2.     Add garlic and celery.  Saute an additional 5 minutes.  

3.     Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil.    Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.  


Carb Breakdown:  My calculations are 67 total carbs.  My pot made 80.65 ounces of weight.  Therefore, every ounce of weight = 1.2 grams of carbs.  

Not too bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment