Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Addicted to the Scale & Adobo Marinated Pork with Chipotle Sour Cream Dip - Week 16 Day 108

I purposely chose not to weigh in this morning.  I admit, this is mostly because I knew I would have gained weight after accidentally overeating yesterday.  But on the flip side, this is amazing considering that I have been religious about weighing in every single morning, even if I knew I would gain.  I know its not healthy to weigh yourself every day, but I can't stop. 

And then today, I made a conscious effort, albeit based on a fear of seeing bad news, it was still a decision I would not have made in the past.  Even when I wasn't attempting to lose weight, I weighed in every morning.  

Why is it that women are so addicted to their weight in numbers?  Why is it that I hide my weight from my husband, family, and even friends?  If I could wave a magic wand, it would be that the scale was never created.  Can you imagine a world where nobody knew how much they weighed?  We are controlled by one stinking number on a scale which means absolutely nothing in the scheme of everything in life.  

My son (7 years old) started to ask about our weight yesterday.  I don't ever talk about weight, I only talk about "getting healthy and not eating carbs/sugar".  My husband answered with his weight, and I dreaded being the next one asked.  When asked, I simply told my son that it is very rude to ask a female her weight.  When he asked why, I told him it was a secret for a girl to hold that information, and that the number means absolutely nothing.  He said "okay", and that was it.  THANK GOD.  Hopefully that is the end of that subject.

But then I got thinking later on, wow, I was scared to tell my son my weight.  Holy Cow!  This number is controlling me.  Ugh.  Unfortunately, I don't think it is anything I will be able to share with anyone, even when I lose all the weight.  

If I had one word to explain why our society cares about weight in numbers, it would be "Media".  

So thank you media for ruining millions of women's lives and making them care about a number, that without a scale, they would never know.  


On the brighter side of things....

When I took off for the grocery store yesterday, my husband told me to grab some meats for this week's dinners.  Well, I am the WORST at picking out meats.  I know nothing about anything, except which animal it comes from and whether its steak or bacon.  That is it.  

So I came across a package of pork called "Pork Steaks" and they were huge.  I like huge, so I grabbed them up.  

I came home to find my husband making a unique dinner that he put together himself.  He was so proud that he looked at the carbs on everything and ensured that I could eat everything.  

He decided to chop them up and make kabobs, instead of the steaks I envisioned.  He then decided to marinate using adobo sauce from chipotles.  He used the remaining chipotles and adobo sauce to mix with sour cream and made an excellet (and spicy!) sour cream dip for the meat.  

It was so good, I couldn't wait to share with everyone else.  

Sides = Pan roasted green beans and steamed broccoli (yes that's butter on top, and I had already ate half of it before I remembered to take a photo)

Let me know if you try it, and how it turned out!


PORK MARINADE:

1/2 cup mustard
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, mashed or minced
2 tablespoons adobo sauce (look for chipotles in adobo sauce)
Orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice

CHIPOTLE PORK DIP:

1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
orange zest
1 teaspoon orange juice
Remaining chipotle and adobo sauce from 1 can

Cook pork as you prefer.  Serve dip on the side.

Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment